How this role drives the company forward:
The Senior Staff Engineer, Mechanical Design is a seasoned, experienced professional with a full understanding of the area(s) of expertise, resolving a wide range of issues in creative ways. This role independently evaluates, selects, and applies standard engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria, using judgment in making adaptations and modifications. In this position, the professional works in collaboration with the engineering, molecular biology and marketing teams to implement area(s) of expertise for new and existing instrumentation systems.
The Senior Staff Engineer, Mechanical Design is an on-site role located in San Jose, CA.
How you will make an impact:
You will participate in designing complex electromechanical instruments comprising, stepper motors, fluidic systems, cooling elements. electrical and electronic components using Solidworks from concept to final product and provide engineering calculations to support your solutions and designs. The incumbent will apply GD&T standards to drawings to provide detailed and accurate documents for manufacturing. Through interactions with other members of the team, the candidate would make sure that designs meet specifications, requirements, and safety standards.
What will you do:
- In collaboration with other engineers and scientists, develop, deploy, and test engineering solutions to support the various components of the company’s instrumentation systems such as the Single Cell, NGS, and PCR platforms.
- Document engineering designs and implementations.
- Develop and execute plans to test the company’s designs.
- May contribute to the generation of IP.
- Implements product specifications.
- Contributes to the development of product specifications based on the MRDs.
- Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of multiple factors.
- Select the appropriate metrics to evaluate the performance of a complex technical approach/solution to a problem that can be multidisciplinary.
- Work independently and reach out to management when direction is needed.
- Manages multidisciplinary projects.
- May provide guidance to other engineers.
- Follows engineering processes such as ECN, document control, design control, and tracking systems.
- Recognizes situations in which the different processes should be used and understands interactions between the systems.
- Generate test data to support Engineering Change Notices and release of new and upgraded products.
- Clearly document and present the results of the designs and investigations.
- Networks with personnel of other departments including Marketing.
- This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
How will you get here?
- B.S. required in Engineering or relevant scientific discipline (software, electrical, bioengineering, mechanical or chemical engineering, physics, chemistry or similar) and a minimum of 8 years of related experience, or a M.S. degree and a minimum of 6 years related experience, or a Ph.D. with a minimum of 3 years related experience. Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Experience developing instrumentation for biotechnology applications.
- Understanding of fundamental engineering concepts.
- Experience with product development life cycle processes.
- Experience/knowledge in the following is required:
- Motion control experience
- Fluidics control
- Microfluidics control
- Growing understanding of other areas of expertise.
- Prior experience in developing area(s) of expertise for instrumentation—including development of prototypes.
You are amazing if you have:
- Experience working in a regulated environment.
- Experience developing assays such as NGS and PCR in automated platforms.